My Inspiration

My Inspiration
"Soon, I'll have my little angel"

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 3: Sticking to Fertility Diet

I survived the caffeine thing. I have slept fine the past few nights. The first night I fell asleep at 7:00 and slept like the dead. I am really enjoying my different options of green-tea. Cranberry-pomagrante is my favorite so far. I have discovered a great way to sweeten my iced-green tea without sugar or sugar substitute, I squeeze the juice an orange into the pitcher. It gives better flavor and just enough sweetness. The cutting out of white sugars has not been that difficult since I already had changed over to whole-wheat breads, pastas and rice. My husband is not a fan of these foods but I have found sneaky ways to use them without him knowing. However the brown rice texture is hard to cover, so he just suffers through it. I am thankful for that new pasta that is whole grain, but looks like regular white pasta.

As many of us know, sticking to a diet is hard when the people you cook for are not, nor need to be on a diet. Since my husband cannot cook anything other than eggs, he will eat anything I put infront of him. I am thankful for this, but it makes me kind of sad as well because I know its not food that he loves. As his wife, I want him to enjoy the meals I prepare for him. As any other wife, I really enjoy seeing my husband happy. We know the saying, "the key to a man's heart is in his stomach", but how do I make him happy and still keep myself healthy and fertile? Since my husband is originally from Mexico, his preferred food is obvious. I too absolutely love real Mexican food, and have learned to cook it. While the Mexican's use primarily fresh ingredients in their cooking, they also use a lot of frying oil, and corn tortillas. Both of which are not a part of the fertility food plan. I have found as with all things balance is the key. Since I refuse to cook two separate meals for two people, Flor and I came to agreement that Saturday dinner would be his day to eat what he wants. I will cook whatever meal he desires. I hope that one day off the fertility food plan won't be detrimental to my overall goal. As much as I desire a child and firmly believe that my future child is worth all I can give, I WILL not sacrifice my marriage or my husband. We are a team in this journey, and we both have already made larger sacrifices than food.

The last two days I have eaten nothing but organic fruits, and vegetables, whole-grains and lean protein. I have done well in sticking to this diet, but it has only really been three days of being strict. If anyone has any recipes that work with the fertility food plan that you think my husband would like, please share with them with me!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you have realized the need to still meet your hubby's food needs (or wants)...I think that shows such tremendous thoughtfulness and insight that I think many wives would overlook. You are an amazingly strong woman and I thank God that I call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so looking forward to getting to work this morning and reading your updates! While I am interested in your story, it's your writing that keeps me wanting more. So proud of you for sticking to this, I know I would have cracked and had chocolate by now! I'm e-mailing you a recipe to check out.

    ReplyDelete