My Inspiration

My Inspiration
"Soon, I'll have my little angel"

Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm Going to Spend My Child's College Fund Just To Have Him!

I have complained before about the ridiculously outrageous cost of adoption. I could buy a brand new Cadillac Escalade for the same cost of adopting a baby or even a school aged child. Absolutely stupid! Now, lets talk invitro. Ha! I say. Do you know what it costs for this procedure? Around $24,000 for three tries. One doctor I talked to promised a 40% refund if unsuccessful. Whoopee DOO! Because there is no way that either of these is an option for us financially, and fertility pills didn't work; we decided to go the natural way with alternative medicine to help. Even though these alternatives don't cost as much as it does to keep a small country a float like adoption and IVF do; they're still pretty expensive. Here is a basic rundown of the purchases that I will be making to HELP increase my chance for having a baby.

  1. Fertility Monitor: Needed because I do not ovulate regularly and therefore cannot know for sure when the best time is to try. Average Cost: $259.95, Cost on Amazon.com $177.40
  2. Fertility Acupuncture: Most of the research I have done on this procedure has provided great information and high recommendations from others in my situation. Initial Visit Cost: $120.00, Monthly follow up appointments: $80
  3. The Mayan Abdominal Massage: A recommendation of most of the Latin women in my life. In the Mexican town where my husband grew up, they had a woman who specialized in this. Any woman who was married and did not have a baby after a few years went to her for help. Most Latina Mommies swear by this procedure. Initial Visit Cost: $195, Follow up monthly visit: $75
  4. Vitamin Supplements: I did a ton of research on supplements that aid in fertility. With the problems I have I came across the 3 Main.
  • Chaste Tree Berry Extract: High recommendation for PCOS 1oz $12.99 (lasts about a month.)
  • Maca Root: 100 capsules $14.99, Recommended dosage: one three times daily.
  • Royal Jelly: Extracted from the honey made for the queen bee. Believed to be the reason the the Queen Bee is so fertile since she is the only one who reproduces, and this is the only thing she eats. More Potent Capsules $18.00-$20.00. I found one for $8.00 at Walmart. 60 capsules taken twice daily

Added up the cost just to get me started with the monitor, acupuncture and massage $492

Monthly up keep: $191 probably closer to $220 with prenatal vitamins, iron supp. and Omega 3 supp.

These prices do not seem so bad in comparison to adoption or IVF, but when on a limited budget it's an extra expense. It's around the amount of car payment that I am spending just to get pregnant! I understand children cost money, they cost money after they are born, as they grow up and continue to break you until you can hopefully marry them off to a wealthy spouse. What I don't understand is why does it cost so much just to have a baby?? Some people say that it's so its not too easy for a woman who shouldn't have babies to have them. Um...not using birth control does that. Um...what about that hideous excuse for a human being the "Octo Mom". Why on earth is a lazy idiot like her allowed and financially able to have 14 children through fertility treatments, just so she can get a reality show, and I can't even have one. (Child, not a reality show. I don't want one of those!) Where is the justice in that? It should be easier and cheaper for women who desire to be mothers for the right reasons, to become mothers. It should be harder for teenagers, prostitutes, and idiots (Octo-mom) to become mothers. Unfortunately, its the other way around, and it stinks.

When I look at these costs and I look at my bank account I get discouraged. Why couldn't I just be a normal, fertile woman? These procedures are no more of a guarantee than fertility pills and IVF treatments, but still cost a chunk of change to have done.

Here's why...whereas most women might spend $200-$300 dollars a month on shoes, or clothes, or dinners out; I will be spending it on increasing my chances to have a baby. I may not understand why it has to be this way for my husband and me, but I know it will be worth it when it happens and I am content with that. Also i will have the advantage of guilt-tripping my child into taking care of me in old age. I'll remind him that we didn't have new cars, big houses or exotic vactions because we broke the bank making him. :) With this big gun, I'll never step one foot inside a nursing home, no sir.

It's been two weeks and even though this journey is getting harder, and I am becoming increasingly more impatient. I'm still continuing the journey and waiting for AF to come, or the stick to turn into two pink lines. I don't care which one comes first just as long as one comes.

2 comments:

  1. And so the financial sacrifices begin...(: Don't allow yourself to dwell on those who seem are able to "unfairly" reproduce children, God allows it to rain on the just and the unjust and even though your journey is harder than most, it is the PERFECT journey for you...designed just for you by your heavenly Father! Good for you, forgoing the "new cars" and "big houses", you are investing in your family!! So proud of you!! Keep going, you can do it!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for a new post! I was so looking forward to reading one and you came through. While I can't directly feel your pain I do feel for you. It's emotionally and financially draining. But in my humble opinion "poop happens" it's not because you are good or bad that you can't conceive. I give you props for staying strong and making it happen when it wouldn't come easily.

    ReplyDelete